Depth of Window different at ends

Old 08-27-05, 04:39 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Depth of Window different at ends

I just installed a new construction window so I had to pull off the trim on the inside. I have to install new trim but the depth is different on both sides of the window. One side is 3 1/2 the other is 3 7/8 or more so when I put the inside window sill in, it doesn't sit flush with the wall. How can I fix this?

Old 08-28-05, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 896 Votes on 822 Posts
I'd first figure out why the window isn't in the wall straight. Is the wall thickness really 3/8 wider at some point, and if so why? Walls should be the same thickness around the entire perimeter of a window. It might mean taking the window back out to determine why the window is not in on one corner, or is too far in on another.

Sometimes the nailing fin will be flexible enough so that someone on the outside can push the window in, while the person inside shims and nails the window to the framing. The same thing could be done on the other corner, but it would be pushed out before being shimmed and nailed to the framing.

One way to trim a window in such a situation when the window can't be moved is to make the extension jamb the smaller of the dimensions (in your case 3 1/2") and then just install a 1/4" x 3/4" screen moulding all the way around the interior perimeter to cover up any gaps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: