predrill mdf?

Old 08-30-05, 06:18 AM
jconcep
Visiting Guest
predrill mdf?

i am thinking of installing mdf crown moulding. does mdf need to be predrilled?

Old 08-30-05, 06:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
I have never hand nailed any MDF so can't answer that but I do know that since MDF is a lot heavier than wood that it needs to be well nailed. I have seen MDF crown come loose [not off just slightly seperated from wall/ceiling] from lack of good nailing surface.

Old 08-30-05, 10:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,975 Upvotes on 1,771 Posts
Like marksr, I haven't ever hand nailed it, but I assume you WOULD have to predrill it, since hand nails are a little larger than the 15 ga nails that are normally used. MDF is dense, and won't expand as you drive the nail in, instead it will want to split lengthwise with the grain- especially along the thin edge of a moulding.

If you predrill, you will have to select just the right sized drill bit- one that makes a hole that is not too tight or not too loose. Marksr mentioned the weight factor- if you predrill holes that are too large, they won't have enough holding power, so be aware of that.

Old 08-30-05, 05:43 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you are going to use MDF, I would suggest that you go to your local tool rental and rent a finish nailer and a compressor. That would make the job a lot easier. If you want to predrill, just take the head off one of the nails that you are going to use and then chuck it in your drill, just like a drill bit.

Old 08-31-05, 09:59 AM
jconcep
Visiting Guest
thanks for the input.
upon further review i don't think the molding i plan on using is mdf. it is made from polystyrene or polyurethane. i will experiment with predrilling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: