Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman/Arts&Crafts Design trimwork

Visiting Guest

09-07-05, 11:13 AM   #1  
BrinerBill
Craftsman/Arts&Crafts Design tips

Hello,

I am in the process of planning some redecorating of our new(ish) house. It is a 35 year old ranch with an addition for an expanded kitchen. The original owner thought of himself as quite a handiman, and I've been cleaning up after him for just about a year now

What I'm looking to do is to redo all the rooms over time, but add a level of consistency in the trim elements. The baseboards and casing trim come in three distinct styles, none of which I care for. The style I'd like to use is a Craftsman/Arts & Crafts profile for the baseboard as well as the window and door casing trim.

Do you know of any resources I can use for seeing these types of things? Most sites and books focus either on the exterior design or the more intricate interior elements. I'm just kind of looking for a place to see the size and profile of these different elements.

Almost all of the work will be painted white, so I'm not looking to do quarter-sawn white oak.

My searchs so far have only really given me design firms charging $$$$$$$$$, color palates, furniture examples, and the like. Something like flash-cards for a finish carpenter would be nice

Thanks you.

(Off to rewire spaghetti-mess of phone cables in the attic while waiting)

Sponsored Links

09-07-05, 04:45 PM   #2  
craftsman trim

You can make a start by going to your local home improvement store. Lowes and HD both have book stands with 5 or 6 books on trim and finish carpentry. Most of them have examples of Craftsman trim.

Since you're painting your trim a good resource for material is the Windsor One company. They have a Craftsman Collection and a fairly large dealer network. Check out their website.

Personally I think you're onto something. Some beaded casement and some Craftsman style headers over the doors and windows will have a real impact.

Good Luck

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-07-05, 05:41 PM   #3  
You also might want to look into router bits. If you can't find the moulding you want you may be able to make [or alter] it yourself.

Visiting Guest

09-08-05, 01:40 PM   #4  
BrinerBill
Thanks for the info.

I was planning on making it all myself, but this was more an inquiry into the design/profile side so that I get the look I like.

I'll poke around in some of those books and see what trips my trigger.

Visiting Guest

09-09-05, 06:21 AM   #5  
BrinerBill
After trying just about every combination of searches I could think of, I think I may have found my answer. Now I just need to get ahold of it.

"Shop Drawings for Craftsman Interiors: Cabinets, Moldings & Built-Ins for Every Room in the Home" by Robert W. Lang

The really big online book merchant has it available, but I don't know if mentioning it constitutes advertising around here

We'll see if that has what I'm looking for.

Visiting Guest

09-14-05, 09:10 PM   #6  
DIYbuddy
Posted By: BrinerBill Hello,

I am in the process of planning some redecorating of our new(ish) house. It is a 35 year old ranch with an addition for an expanded kitchen. The original owner thought of himself as quite a handiman, and I've been cleaning up after him for just about a year now

What I'm looking to do is to redo all the rooms over time, but add a level of consistency in the trim elements. The baseboards and casing trim come in three distinct styles, none of which I care for. The style I'd like to use is a Craftsman/Arts & Crafts profile for the baseboard as well as the window and door casing trim.

Do you know of any resources I can use for seeing these types of things? Most sites and books focus either on the exterior design or the more intricate interior elements. I'm just kind of looking for a place to see the size and profile of these different elements.

Almost all of the work will be painted white, so I'm not looking to do quarter-sawn white oak.

My searchs so far have only really given me design firms charging $$$$$$$$$, color palates, furniture examples, and the like. Something like flash-cards for a finish carpenter would be nice

Thanks you.

(Off to rewire spaghetti-mess of phone cables in the attic while waiting)
Hi,
Don't know if this is what you are looking for, but if you want something REALLY special you need to look here : www.design-daveluy.com
They offer also in white plaster, MUCH cheaper and easy to install
Good luck
DIYbuddy

Search this Thread