Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

how do you guys handle this?

09-21-05, 07:58 PM   #1  
how do you guys handle this?

I've got shoe molding that has a profile that is not a perfect quarter round; i.e. there is one side of the round that is 'longer' then the other. Everything I've seen tells me to place the long side on the floor and the short side on the baseboard, but I've run into a few challenges.

1) If I place the long side on the floor, the 'quarter' becomes extremely flat and very hard to cope. It's much easier if I place the short side on the floor.

2) It's impossible to shoot a brad perpendicular thru the molding because the profie is too flat; with a floating floor there is no way to not shoot the nail into the expansion space, that I can see.

If I turned the molding the other way it's very easy to cope and very easy to nail, because the profile becomes taller. I'm just not sure if this is the right way to install this molding.

What do you guys to? How would you tackle this problem? Thanks !!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

09-21-05, 08:14 PM   #2  
Well, you're right, 1/2 x 3/4 baseshoe is sometimes installed with the wide side against the floor. It's easier to push it down tight and nail it to the floor so that it conforms to any irregularities in the floor when it is positioned in that way. But that's not a rule. In fact, I think it's installed vertically more often than not.

Since you're installing a "floating floor" you are also correct in not wanting to pin the floor at the edges. Hopefully, you left a gap around the edge for expansion- 1/4 to 3/8" or so... and the base shoe would cover this gap if it was placed either direction. If you have enough gap around the edges of your flooring, you should be able to angle your finish nails so as to miss the flooring when you nail. But, you can certainly install it the other direction if it works better that way. I recently put some 3/4 x 4 1/2" base in a friend's bathroom and installed the baseshoe vertically with the 1/2" side against the floor. It would have looked dopey the other way in their tiny bathroom, and covering the vinyl wasn't an issue, because the base did that.

BTW, have you tried using a jig saw with a fine toothed coping blade to make your copes? It makes even difficult copes easy, because after you remove most of the waste from your cope, you can use the jigsaw like a file to fine-tune your coped edge as you follow the cope-line. Light rasping with a round rasp will perfect the cope, if needed. You should be able to cope it either way with a little practice.

09-21-05, 08:28 PM   #3  
thanks for the reassurance. The problem isn't so much with the cope; it's troublesome but I can get it to come out perfect. The big problem is how to nail it to the baseboard.

I haven't laid the floor yet, but the baseboard alone would cover the gap, so no worries there. The big problem I'm running into on my test pieces is that I cannot nail it to the baseboard perpendicular.

I've seen the shoe turned both ways in various houses. I just didn't know if it was acceptable practice to install it this way.

This seems easier for my application. Thanks.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-22-05, 07:50 AM   #4  
All the shoe mold I have ever painted or installed has had the short edge on the floor with the tall side against the base.

09-22-05, 05:13 PM   #5  
thanks guys. Looks like the easy way is the right way, for a change..!

Search this Thread