The times, they are passing me by...

Old 09-26-05, 06:32 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The times, they are passing me by...

I'm getting old... I guess.... Seems there may be a new product out there that I've not run into before....

I'm putting down new base molding in my newest addition. Haven't done it in a while.... Had to remove some of the existing molding in the area when cutting a door. I'm familiar with solid wood molding - to be used when you want to stain/finish for a wood finish. I'm familiar with spliced molding (cheaper) to be used when you're going to paint over the molding. This stuff is pine - finished as wood on the face ... but is spliced, obviously - every 6 - 8 inches on the back side. Yet the splices don't show on the front. My eyesight, not being what it used to be... can't detect any sort of laminate on the front side (face). Yet, it's got to be there - or so it seems. I haven't seen any sort of laminated molding in my local box stores or lumberyards.. am I missing something? I'm familiar with fabricated molding (plastic) - and don't care for it... and this ain't it...

Any thoughts?

Old 09-26-05, 07:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
There used to be a cut rate home improvement store around here. They sold what you are describing. Finger joint wood but with a super thin veneer on the face. I never bought any - I couldn't believe the price, but after close inspection I was scared to use it. I believe a light sanding would remove the veneer.

Old 09-26-05, 07:34 AM
T
You're correct about the veneer being easily removed. Even a bit of water tends to make it dry out/change shade. I've had to go over a lot of it with poly since we bought the house (high end custom - can you believe it?).

Thanks for the response... Stuff looks good... but I guess I'll go buy some solid wood trim......

Old 09-26-05, 09:13 AM
T
Wow!

Just got back from the big blue box.... and - there, in the trim section was what you described. But price............ 4X the price of solid pine trim??????????????????????? what's up with that?

Well, you can imagine what I purchased...... along with stain/poly........

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: