Repairing Tongue & Groove

Old 10-03-05, 03:02 PM
ianjohnson
Visiting Guest
Repairing Tongue & Groove

There is leak inside my bathroom wall behind the sink. To get to it, I can either go through the tile in the bathroom, or through the other side of the wall which is T&G paneling. I'm thinking that if I can remove and then replace one of the boards, that would be much better than breaking through the tile and backing board and then repairing it.

How would I get one of the boards out? Is it possible to do without damaging it beyond reuse? It isn't the usual v-cut, there are decorative grooves between flat sections that alternate between 6" and 4". I don't know how easy it would be to find a replacement for a style that was installed in the '30s.

Ian

Old 10-03-05, 03:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,959 Upvotes on 1,756 Posts
Is it possible to get to the leak by simply removing the sink countertop and the vanity, then opening up the section of wall that is covered by the vanity?

Old 10-04-05, 09:16 AM
ianjohnson
Visiting Guest
It's a pedestal sink with tile on the wall behind it, so there is also the problem of trying to work around the pedestal as well. If there was drywall in the other room I would happily cut into it and patch it when I was done. Unfortunately my entire house is paneling, plaster or tile so it's never that simple.

Ian

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: