Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

installing wainscoting in a small house... yea or nay?

Old 10-14-05, 02:04 AM
colinear
Visiting Guest

i want to put wainscoting in these two rooms:

living room:
http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=327515

dining room:
http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=327516

but as you can see, the rooms are pretty small. will the wainscoting be overkill?

if not, what type would you suggest? i like the "picture frame" stuff, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Old 10-14-05, 06:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 869 Upvotes on 760 Posts
I didn't look at the pics. The busier a room is the smaller it will appear [same as dark colors]. Wainscotting painted a light shiny color may help to make the room look larger. IMO it comes down to what your preferrences are.

Old 10-14-05, 06:55 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
To me it depends more on the overall style of the house. You expect to see these things in certain styles of house, like Victorian, Colonial, etc. They can seem out of place in a 70's ranch, a small Cape Cod, etc. I would consider that aspect if I was planning to sell it in the next 5 yrs.

Luckily, it's cheap enough to experiment with to see how it would look. I've seen plenty of houses without true wainscoting and with just frames under a chair rail. Make a few frames and see what it looks like.

Old 10-15-05, 12:28 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wainscot

Hi Colinear,

I'd say a chair rail and frames wainscot is the best choice for those rooms. With a good design even a small room can be elegant. I would make the frames wider than they are tall to emphasize the depth of the rooms.

Check out the trim books at your local home improvement and book stores for style ideas. The books by Jay Silber have good discussions of frame style wainscot.

To get your project started go ahead and put in the chair rail. Chair rail always looks good and, visually, it's the most important part of the system. Better yet, chair rail is the easiest trim to install. For paint grade work MDF is quite adequate and it's usually the least expensive.

Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: