Sticky/Tacky Paint

Old 10-17-05, 12:53 PM
His_Oldness
Visiting Guest
Sticky/Tacky Paint

I recently had the interior and exterior of my home painted.
Everything "looks" OK!
Here's the problem:

All of the interior trim that was painted is slightly sticky to the touch.
It's not a wet feel, and it doesn't come off when you touch it.
-It's been over 3 weeks, so it should be dry
-Oil based paint was not used.
-Paint brand was Olympic, which was purchased because I had heard of it.

I got an end-of-the-season discount with the painter. I don't get the feeling he spent as much time or was as careful as his "normal" jobs.
He fit me into his schedule and only worked a few hours (3-4) a day

Anyone know what is causing this, and how to resolve?
Do I have any recourse with the painter?

Old 10-17-05, 04:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 871 Upvotes on 762 Posts
I would defenitetly contact your painter. The paint as you know should be good and dry by now. I have used very little Olympic paint [have used a bit of their stain] but I wonder if there was a contaminent on the surface. You might try recoating a small area [maybe with different enamel] and see what the result is.

Hopefully your painter will return and can figure out why and come up with a solution.

Old 10-19-05, 12:26 PM
His_Oldness
Visiting Guest
I spoke to my painter about this.
He claims it was the paint causing this.

I personally purchased the paint, which he requested that I do. Seemed like a harmless request at the time. I even called him from Lowe's to confirm that he approved of the brand and style.

He is not taking responsibility for unsatisfactory results, becuase he says it was a bad batch of paint. BULL ****! I purchased about 7 total gallons of trim paint (5 in one batch, and had to return to purchase 2 more). No way 7 gallons of paint were bad.

Anyone have a suggestion? That is, without repainting all the trim.

Old 10-19-05, 12:43 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No way 7 gallons of paint were bad.
Why not? They don't mix paint one gallon at a time, if you bought it from the same store at the same time chances are its from the same batch. If one gallon is defective chances are all the paint from the same batch is.

Old 10-19-05, 06:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
One of the reasons it is better to purchase paint at a paint store is when you have problems you have someone to go to. Ideally there would be an Olympic paint rep that would come out and try to identify the problem. Maybe they have a consumer help number. Likely you are left to fend for yourself As bigmtk mentioned paint is manufactured in a big vat = a lot of gallons.

I would try to contact Olympic first, maybe Lowes will help. If you get no help or answers go to a real paint store and explain the problem and hopefully they can help you get things straightened out.

I would also look for a different painter. More than once I have fixed things that weren't my doing/responsibility in order to have a satisfied customer and the good reputation that brings.

Old 10-20-05, 06:39 AM
His_Oldness
Visiting Guest
That's a good idea! I never thought about contacting Olympic directly.
Hopefully they have a customer service number.

Hey Marksr, too bad you're retired. Sounds like you delivered great customer service. I'm in Louisville, KY and East Tennessee is not too far away from here. At this point I would be willing to pay travel charges to get someone with a sense of pride in their work.

Old 10-20-05, 11:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by His_Oldness
At this point I would be willing to pay travel charges to get someone with a sense of pride in their work.

At todays fuel prices Might be cheaper to move

It has always mystified me that some contractors would worry so much about a fast buck today with no thought on making money tomorrow. It always kind of tickled me when I got jobs knowing I was way above the cheapest bid.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: