Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

My threshhold between rooms is a bit low.

Old 10-21-05, 01:47 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a new room that was just added that is flush with the front and back (runs the depth of my house which is 26 feet).

We went for a big opening which is about 15 feet, centered. In order to do this, a 14 inch laminate was used to carry the load of the 15 feet. After the job was done, it occurred to me that the 14 inch laminates are probably supposed to replace the double 2x4 plate. I say this because the beam hangs approx 2-3 inches lower than my doorways since it was installed under the plate.

Now, I know I can raise the beam (build a temp wall, and cut out the plate not easy but certainly can be done). The room is not yet sheetrocked.

My question isnt about whether I can do it - I know I CAN - its a question of it it matters as to the way it will look. If it will be 100% meaningless and unnoticed, I wont go through the effort.

There are a number of windows and doors that are all framed the same height. So, the moldings on all the doors and windows will be the same, except this one big opening.

What are the opinions out there?

I will probably do a molding above this opening that is an inch or two thicker than the other moldings anyway (simply because of the length), so the tops of all the moldings in the house may line up - or be pretty close.

And, maybe Im wrong, maybe long openings always hang lower.

Just want to see what opinions are out there. Would you give it a second thought? Thin it will be noticed? Think it matters?

Old 10-21-05, 02:06 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
threshhold between rooms is a bit low.

With an opening that much different in shape it should not make a difference.

You probably will be the only one to notice it.

Dick

Old 10-31-05, 08:30 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2-3 inches is hard to pictue. I think it would be a bit low but I agree probably not noticed by anyone except you. If you were at 4-5 inches it might be different. I would think you just make it in terms of being noticeable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: