Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

interior cedar walls

Visiting Guest

10-30-05, 10:48 AM   #1  
kleinh
interior cedar walls

I have a 1970's house with interior cedar walls. In the split foyer type entry the boards run diagonal and I would like to replace the cedar by removing it and having drywall installed. However, I don't know how difficult or expensive this will be. The cedar is beautiful but quite dark and very rough. I have no idea what is under it. The boards are about 6" wide. I have considered painting it but I think it would absorb tons of paint and still look like diagonal boards. What is likely to be under it? It wouldn't make sense to drywall over it--right? Thanks for any advise. Related question--I will probably stick with the horizontal cedar in the other main rooms but should it ever be treated with some product and is there an easy way to lighten it? Thanks for any response/opinions.

Sponsored Links

SC

10-30-05, 05:17 PM   #2  
The cedar is either on sheetrock or studs. I would remove the boards, and sheetrock the studs or refinish the sheetrock under the boards. Painting the boards will have them look as if they were painted boards, as you had feared.

Search this Thread