Wavy wallboard around window openings

Old 11-10-05, 08:29 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wavy wallboard around window openings

Hi Gang,

We rebuilt our porch. New framing and new windows. Now I am putting in wallboard and discover that the framing around our windows is quite uneven. If I install the wallboard (which I have done) the end result is a wavy surface that varies from between 1/8" below the part of the window frame that the window molding will be nailed to to 1/8" above it. When I say 'above' and 'below' I am talking about depth not height. At this point, adjusting the windows or the framing is not possible.

The only thing that I can think of is to very carefully plane and chisel the window molding to accomodate the varying surface and I'm not sure that I have the necessary skills (but if this is the best course, I'll go slow). I was wondering if anyone can think of an easier solution.

Thanks.

Steve

Old 11-10-05, 11:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,980 Upvotes on 1,774 Posts
The parts that are behind the drywall aren't a big deal. If you plane and sand the high spots that will help. You could also add 1/8" shims to the framing where needed so that the drywall would come out even in those spots.

It sounds like your windows probably had nailing flanges which allow the window to flex in and out. When that's the case, the best thing to do is to not depend on the nailing fin to hold the windows at the proper depth. Shims and finish screws at each corner of the interior side of the window will usually help hold them in the proper location. But as you said, it's too late for that now if the siding is on and they are caulked or foamed.

Old 11-10-05, 01:12 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like I have a lot of planing and sanding to do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: