Deep mitre box?? Crown molding

Old 11-14-05, 05:20 PM
Deep mitre box?? Crown molding

I'm installing crown molding in a small powder room. Unfortunately, my mitre box isn't deep enough to allow me to cut the molding. I can't seem to find a box deep enough although I've run across a couple do it yourself books that mention they exist.

I've checked all of the local hardware stores (Home Depot, Ace, Lowes) etc..

any suggestions?? Any other way to cut the molding in lieu of purchasing a powered mitre saw?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-05, 06:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I never cared much for the old mitre boxes so I don't know much about them. I suppose you might could build one to the size you need.

Don't know how much need you have of a mitre box/saw but an electric mitre saw is a lot easier to use and [I think] more precise. You should be able to rent one if it is just a one time use.

Old 11-14-05, 09:22 PM
Group Moderator
Crown is hard enough with a compound miter saw I can't imagine doing it with a miter box. Either rent it like mark suggested or see if a neighbor has one you can borrow. Life is too short to try to do a job without the proper tool for it.

Old 12-14-05, 08:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
deep miter box

I agree with the previous posts. Rent one. However, look for one such as the Bosch 12. Mine has precision detents for angle and miter set for proper crown cutting with the molding laying flat on the cutting surface. No more "upside down and backwards", and no more jigs to hold it in place.