Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Painting or replacing baseboard & window trim??

Visiting Guest

11-26-05, 03:46 PM   #1  
MHalve

We have a mid 1980's home that has brown baseboard and trim that my wife wants to either have painted or replaced. Seeing newly constructed homes they virtually all have white trim and baseboards and she's fallen in love with that look. With housing prices what they are we're not ready to move so are wanting to make some changes to our current house.

I'm sure that replacing all the trim would be fairly expensive, but the baseboards are pretty well worn (3 kids) and would need a fair amount of filling / sanding (??) before they could be painted. Also, some of the door jams have gouges etc. and I'm not even sure how easily those could be fixed.

Home improvement projects aren't my strongest suit and am looking for a reasonable solution to this dilemma.

Any input is appreciated - thanks!

Sponsored Links

MN

11-26-05, 06:33 PM   #2  

I just bought a 20+ year old townhouse. It had a number of different occupants through the years. For the last 2 years before we bought the units it was owned by a slumlord and the occupants had a number of visits by the police through the locked doors. Needless to say, it was in tough condition with double deadbolts and 4"+ screws.

I planned to replace all the old wood work with new oak. In an effort to get it looking good quickly we decided to paint the woodwork as a quick temporary solution.

I filled the gouges, dents and pry bar marks. Then I sanded and primed with Zinsser primer. I used two coats of latex enamel and it came out great. Very easy to do and it took the paint well. A couple pieces of oak that were installed somewhere along the way were much more difficult to paint. I may forget about the new oak in the future because you can do much more color-wise with paint over the old, cheap trim and baseboards.

Just my experience. - Its not too bad a job, especially since you can go room by room.

Dick

Search this Thread