Painting balusters

Old 12-02-05, 11:24 AM
meas2cut1
Visiting Guest
Painting balusters

New member... hope I'm asking this in the right forum. I would like to paint the balusters and base of the railings in our 20 yr old split level. They are currently stained and varnished a medium oak. I plan to leave the handrails and newels as they are. Do I need to strip back to bare wood or is a light sanding followed by a high-adhesion primer & alkyd paint sufficient? Three kids and a dog in the house, so it has to hold up!

Old 12-03-05, 05:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 873 Upvotes on 764 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Painting any stained/varnished wood requires the same basic procedure. You need to sand first [it would hurt to wipe down with deglosser prior to priming] Then use a solvent base primer. It can then be finished with most any type of paint.

Alkyld/oil enamel dries harder than latex so it should wear better. Since oil base is prone to yellow over time and has a slowwer drying time I would highly recommend SWP's proclassic waterborne enamel. Ben Moore also sells a similioar product but I've not used it. Waterborne dries fast and cleans up with water but it dries as hard as oil enamel and doesn't yellow.

Old 12-06-05, 11:53 AM
meas2cut1
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the tips! I'll likely try the BM product since it's more available here than SW.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: