Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Painting balusters

Visiting Guest

12-02-05, 11:24 AM   #1  
meas2cut1
Painting balusters

New member... hope I'm asking this in the right forum. I would like to paint the balusters and base of the railings in our 20 yr old split level. They are currently stained and varnished a medium oak. I plan to leave the handrails and newels as they are. Do I need to strip back to bare wood or is a light sanding followed by a high-adhesion primer & alkyd paint sufficient? Three kids and a dog in the house, so it has to hold up!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-03-05, 05:25 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forum

Painting any stained/varnished wood requires the same basic procedure. You need to sand first [it would hurt to wipe down with deglosser prior to priming] Then use a solvent base primer. It can then be finished with most any type of paint.

Alkyld/oil enamel dries harder than latex so it should wear better. Since oil base is prone to yellow over time and has a slowwer drying time I would highly recommend SWP's proclassic waterborne enamel. Ben Moore also sells a similioar product but I've not used it. Waterborne dries fast and cleans up with water but it dries as hard as oil enamel and doesn't yellow.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Visiting Guest

12-06-05, 11:53 AM   #3  
meas2cut1
Thanks for the tips! I'll likely try the BM product since it's more available here than SW.

Search this Thread