What is the floor trim hiding?

Old 12-26-05, 08:32 AM
What is the floor trim hiding?

Am I to assume that once I take of my trim, there would be a gap where the wall doesn't reach the floor? Is it common to have it either way (touching or not touching)? Also, what is the best way (tools?) to remove trim?

thanks
Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-05, 08:34 AM
Your assumption about a gap is correct. Best tool I've found is a slim, flat blade crowbar about 18 inches long - working carefully from nail to nail.

Old 12-26-05, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the quick reply!

Originally Posted by thezster
Your assumption about a gap is correct. Best tool I've found is a slim, flat blade crowbar about 18 inches long - working carefully from nail to nail.
I've also heard to use a razor to prevent "paint peeling" when removing the board. Is it best to pull back the carpet while doing this? I'm just afraid of not having the same tightness in my carpet after pulling it up from the tack strips.

Old 12-26-05, 10:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The razor blade [or utility knife] is used to cut the caulking at the top of the base which allows the base to seperate from wall without pulling on the wall finish.

I wouldn't mess with the carpet, if you remove it you'll need to restretch it.
Usually the carpet is tucked under the base, even if its not you should be able to remove the base [and reinstall] with out messing with the carpet.

If a flat bar doesn't work well to pry loose the base you can take a punch to completely drive the nails through the base.

Old 12-26-05, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by marksr
The razor blade [or utility knife] is used to cut the caulking at the top of the base which allows the base to seperate from wall without pulling on the wall finish.

I wouldn't mess with the carpet, if you remove it you'll need to restretch it.
Usually the carpet is tucked under the base, even if its not you should be able to remove the base [and reinstall] with out messing with the carpet.

If a flat bar doesn't work well to pry loose the base you can take a punch to completely drive the nails through the base.

Great! Thanks for your input Mark. And I'm off to do some work....

thanks again!

Matt

Old 12-26-05, 10:41 PM
removing base

You'll want to put something between the pry bar and the wall board to keep the pry from punching holes in the wallboard. A small piece of 1/4" plywood or the blade of a 6" putty knife wiil do. When you get the base off pull the nails through the back with a pair of channel locks.