Remove or leave up to paint?

Old 12-31-05, 09:08 AM
pipper
Visiting Guest
Remove or leave up to paint?

I need to paint our moulding .. this place was put together pretty shoddy. The moulding isn't level. In some places it sits flush w/the foundation and other places it sits above the carpet. Because it sits so low in places I couldn't slip anything between it and the carpet to keep the carpet clean. I'm leaning towards pulling it all down, stripping and painting it .. then paint the walls and reapply the moulding (leveled this time). Is that a bad idea? I could pull the carpet away, but I'm afraid it wouldn't stretch back in place. We're also going to replace the carpet in about a year or two so I want to make sure I'm not going to do something stupid that will cost more money to fix in the future. Thx for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-05, 09:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
remove or leave up to paint

Try bending your hand sideways. That's how base molding works. It is meant to bend back to front but not up and down. Once it is in place it is normal to add 1/4 round to the bottom, which will, since it is the same size in both directions, bend up and down as well as back to front. This will dress up the crack at the floor created by unevenness.
Now, if you plan to demo it anyway, I would probably opt for purchasing new molding, probably MDF, painting it in your garage on buckets or saw horses, and cutting it and installing it, where you will only have to touch up the joints, fill the nail holes and touch them up. As far as the molding over the carpet, if your plans are to recarpet, then pull the exisiting molding, install new molding, level, but don't put in 1/4 round. Leave about 1/2" gap between the finished floor and the bottom of the molding. That way, your new carpet installers can do a neater job by tucking in the excess behind their tack strip and under your base.
Recycling the old molding is a bold move, since you say it is in sad shape. Remember you will probably tear it up removing it anyway.
Good luck with the project.

Old 12-31-05, 09:57 AM
pipper
Visiting Guest
Thanks chandler .. that's the direction I think I'm leaning towards. It's going to cost more money, but I want it done the right way. Should there be a gap for the moulding around doors as well? Almost everyone of those hit the foundation as well.

This is our first place .. we purchased new a few years ago. I wish I knew half the things I know now. I would have made the builder rip off most of this moulding and reapply it. Live and learn. Thanks again.

Old 12-31-05, 01:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
remove or leave up to paint

Do you have laminate floors? This is the common problem I see with laminates, the floor is cushy, and if the doors are not cut properly, there is a gap whenever you step on it, and sometimes the gap gets big on its own.(how, who knows) I hope this answered your question. Shoot, you probably don't have laminates, and I wasted your time. Anyway, a gap at the bottom of the door frame can be filled with caulk or wood filler.
Now with "foundation" you are referring to the subflooring, right?
Larry

Old 12-31-05, 05:07 PM
pipper
Visiting Guest
There's only three doors that sit on the carpet .. the others wrap over carpet and soon to be tile in the near future. If subflooring is what the tackstrip is secured to, that's what I'm referring to.