pilpot holes in mfp trim??

Old 01-02-06, 11:53 AM
pilpot holes in mfp trim??

I am using mfp base boards and casings, should I drill pilot holes in the material. And on the baseboards, is there a certain spot on the material that I should nail. I am using a 3 1/2 in base board, and not sure if I should nail top middle or bottom. As you can tell I am a rookie at this. Thanks for the help. Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-06, 04:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
pilot holse in mdf

I think you are referring to medium density fiberboard molding, and you really don't have to drill pilot holes in it, as much as you would oak, etc. You should drive your first nail in the first stud (approx 16" from an edge of the room, which side, you'll have to determine), and every 16 " thereafter, so you are hitting a stud with each nail. Drive your first nail in the lower portion of the molding, as the second nail above it will tend to correct any bending caused by the lower nail, and it will be tight to your wall. Drive the nails, close to the surface, and complete your drive with a nail set to just below the surface; fill the holes and either stain or paint.
Good luck with it!

Old 01-02-06, 10:28 PM
If you're using hammer and nail it may be a good idea to drill the thin edge of the casing before you nail it to the jambs. Thin MDF can split though the thick edge of the casement and the baseboard should be no problem.

Old 01-05-06, 09:52 AM
hi
you can take the point of the nail to prevent spitting
by using a hammer and hit the point of the nail to make it dull
then drive it
it will not spitter the mdf

Search this Thread