Baseboard Dilemma

Old 01-03-06, 04:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Baseboard Dilemma

I am finally near finished with the new basement and have reached what I hope to be the last dilemma. I will have carpet in the family room with trimmed edges on two sides and painted concrete floor around that. The long side of the room is open to a hallway and essentially defined by only a six foot long wall at one end and two main support columns.

My question is how do I make the height transition from concrete to carpet as I go around the end of that six foot wall?

Thanks.

Old 01-03-06, 07:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 870 Upvotes on 761 Posts
Unless you have a better way of making the transition, you should rip the base down where it goes over the carpet. If using 3" base and carpet sets up 1/2" make that base 2.5" tall.

Old 01-06-06, 04:23 AM
K
I'm a little unclear on what you are saying but can't you just butt the carpet to base that has been installed just above the concrete? if you base first then carpet, and you should be all set.

Old 01-06-06, 07:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 870 Upvotes on 761 Posts
If you install the base first you can bring it down the floor like the rest of the basement but the carpet installer won't be too happy. It is easier on him to tuck the carpet under the baseboard.

Old 01-06-06, 10:31 PM
Right, I'll keep the tuck.

I guess I was looking for what the pros do to handle the height transition. I had considered ripping the base where it goes around the end of the wall and into the family room, and then on around the next inside corner until it reached a French door. I was concerned that it would look tacky to continue on the other side of the door using full width base.

But it just now occurs to me that I should simply use ripped-to-width base around the rest of the room until it reaches the other end where it will transition back to concrete floor again. What's another 35 feet, after all?

Thanks for your comments.

Old 01-07-06, 11:38 AM
Problem Solved!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: