Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

How large of gap to leave from baseboard to floor if carpet is to be installed

How large of gap to leave from baseboard to floor if carpet is to be installed

Old 01-06-06, 04:34 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up How large of gap to leave from baseboard to floor if carpet is to be installed

I built a new room to our existing basement and am at the point of adding base trim. How much of a gap do I leave between the floor and the trim so carpet can be installed at a later date?

Old 01-06-06, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Technically, the answer is: 2/3 rds the height of the carpet. Most people use a fudge factor and leave 1/2" or whatever is close.

Old 01-06-06, 06:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,958 Upvotes on 1,755 Posts
1/2" is normally used for padded carpet on wood floors that will be getting a tack strip. Since you mentioned this is in a basement, it makes me wonder if you will be glueing the carpet down without a pad or maybe going with a low profile type of carpet. If that's the case, 1/2" would be too high- you certainly don't want to be able to see under the baseboard! So as Lugnut suggests, it all depends on the carpet that will be installed.

See the Flooring > Carpeting forum.

Old 01-06-06, 06:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
With the exception mentioned by xsleeper, I usually cut a scrap of the molding itself (4 or 5 pcs) and use them for spacers along the length of the piece I am putting down. This gives a 1/2" spacing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: