Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

What miter angle to create a return?

Visiting Guest

01-08-06, 04:29 PM   #1  
bionicfawn
What miter angle to create a return?

Hi all! I'm doing a door casing with a complex top molding. So far everything is looking great, the side molding is up and the top molding is fully assembled and almost ready to install.

This top molding has a very nice profile and I would like to make sure I finish the ends off with a beveled return (I think that's what you would call it.) Is this a 45 degree outside corner cut?

I have a compound miter saw, any special angle setting recommendations?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-08-06, 05:25 PM   #2  
Posted By: bionicfawn Is this a 45 degree outside corner cut?

Yep sure is

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Visiting Guest

01-08-06, 06:37 PM   #3  
bionicfawn
Perfect!

Thanks, Marksr! I was worried about running out of trim, experimenting to find out. Your help is greatly appreciated. The molding turned out beautifully!

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

01-08-06, 07:09 PM   #4  
One word of experienced advice. Cut your returns first, and have them on hand. You don't want to cut a 1/2" return off a 1" board. Fingers don't make good returns. The returns are just opposite cuts of the miter you cut first.

Visiting Guest

01-08-06, 08:15 PM   #5  
bionicfawn
Great advice, Chandler. That is something I will remember on my next set of cuts! Thanks!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-09-06, 06:28 AM   #6  
Posted By: chandler Fingers don't make good returns. .

Great advise! My grandfather was a carpenter and like most of his era, he had more missing fingers [or parts] than whole ones.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread