removing wood panels.

Old 01-08-06, 07:49 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
removing wood panels.

Only one wall in our entire basement has wood paneling on it. I would like to remove it and paint over whatever is behind it. I've "peeked" behind and noticed what I believe is regular drywall. The thing that I noticed was what it appeared to be a rip in the drywall. It didn't appear to make a difference in the texture of the drywall, but I thought I would mention this in case anyone has advice on this matter too. Should I just be able to remove the panel and start painting?

thanks
Matt

Old 01-09-06, 06:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 869 Upvotes on 760 Posts
You can remove the paneling and paint but there is a critical step in between. Beside any damage that the paneling was installed to cover you will have nail holes and possiblly glue to take care of first. You need to repair all nail holes, remove any glue and fix any damage to the rock first.

Old 01-09-06, 10:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,959 Upvotes on 1,756 Posts
Just to add to that, it's also possible that the glue will render the drywall useless if they glued the panelling on- getting the glue off will rip the tar out of the drywall paper. And it's entirely possible that the if the drywall you saw wasn't painted, it's probably not finished either (joints were taped but not finished... or maybe it's not even taped at all.)

If the drywall is too much of a mess, you're better off just hanging new drywall- it's a lot easier to finish new drywall than to have to skim an entire wall with mud.

Old 01-09-06, 01:00 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
so far...

I took a smaller section off and it appears to be just nailed on. I will look at a bigger section to see what would be needed.

thanks for the input
matt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: