paper covering on drywall

Old 01-30-06, 01:40 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry paper covering on drywall

Well, I did it! I started removing the icky plastic tiles that were in my bathroom. They popped right off, but left the glue on the wall. As I was trying to scrape the glue off, it came off in one big sheet along with the paper covering on the drywall. Now what? Is the drywall going to have to be replaced? Im planning on putting up beadboard in place of the tile.

Many thanks in advance.

Old 01-30-06, 02:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Noooo! All you have to do is get about a gallon of sheetrock compound and smooth it on the surface you messed up. Use a 12" taping knife to do the smoothing. It may take several coats to get the smooth surface you want, but sanding in between coats will let you know.

Old 01-30-06, 04:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
It would be best to first seal the raw gypsum with a solvent based primer. Sometimes moisture [like in the mud or latex paint] will make the gypsum bubble up.

Just reread your post and if the bead board is going to completely cover the messed up drywall - priming it should be sufficent.

Old 01-31-06, 05:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Ooo, I didn't re-read your post, and as Marksr says, since you will be covering it up anyway, a good primer will keep it from allowing moisture to infiltrate and possibly bulge it. You can, then, install your wainscotting over it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: