Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

chair rain on townhouse common wall

02-06-06, 10:11 AM   #1  
chair rain on townhouse common wall

I'm trying to install chair rail on the common wall (with another unit). There is a panel (I expect a sound barrior) behind the dry wall. I've drilled thru the sound barrior (it's probably 1/4 to 3/8/thick)Also my stud finder is not locating any studs. Any suggestions on how to proceed. The chair rail material is a composit (not wood). Do builders typically glue chair rail like this?
thanks, Mike

Sponsored Links

CANADA

02-06-06, 10:40 AM   #2  
hi
usually therea cement block wall sperate the 2 units nas some studs might be located either 16, 24, 32 in cc
you would used liquid nail to secure it to the wall or lock tite caulking would do
just used caulk behind the moulding and press tite
then used some tape to hold it in place till it sets

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-06-06, 11:57 AM   #3  
Usually the common wall between units is masonary or doubled 5/8" rock with joints staggered. Either way there should be some wood to nail to. A masonary wall should still have furring strips which the sheetrock is secured to.

Have you tried drilling thru the rock in more than one place? If you drill in a straight horizontal line you should find furring strips or studs every 16" possibly ever 24". The moulding will cover the holes.

I would use a combination of liquid nail and nails.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

02-07-06, 07:35 PM   #4  
I've had pretty good luck with Power Grab (I believe by Loctite). You apply a wavy stripe on the back of the chair rail and press it on your already level line. It bonds instantly and provides a good lasting bond without nails.

Search this Thread