Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Crown Molding... but with a mod.

NJ

02-26-06, 04:45 PM   #1  
Crown Molding... but with a mod.

Ok. If any of you folks are into trim work and wood-working I have a question.

Crown molding... (or something that I would like to look like crown molding) Except with this job the wall and ceiling is not at a 90 degree angle like normal. What we have here is a finished attic installation where the angle is computed where the rafter meets the collar ties. In this case it is 135 degrees. I would like to have something that looks like crown molding or any some-what "finished) for this.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Pete

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

02-27-06, 04:29 AM   #2  
Pete; if you have access to a table saw, you can modify the back angles of normal crown molding by making a jig/stop at the angle you require, and run the pieces through it. That would leave the face of the crown looking normal, but sit flat on your obtuse angle. Another idea would be to make a skirt piece cut at the balance of the angle you need. In other words, at 135 degrees, you would need to rip the skirt board at 45 degrees, install it with a reveal at the bottom of the crown. The skirt would only need to be a 1x2 or so. Check these out and post back if you have more questions, or if it works. Would like to know.

Search this Thread