Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to join "T" shape

04-03-06, 08:31 AM   #1  
How to join "T" shape

Hi guys, I'm getting ready to trim a plywood celing. I need to cover small gaps at the 4 walls as well as a gap in the middle where the plywood butts together.

I plan to use simple trim boards, basically like doorstop material. The joints where the center board meets the wall boards will be T shape. How can I make this look best at the ends? I don't know how to cope (in more ways than one ).....

I think I asked this once but I can't find it.

Thanks, as always!

Tom

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

04-03-06, 05:02 PM   #2  
Tom: I have had good luck with the beaded mullion molding on the main runs. It looks a sight better than lattice. Where they intersect, cut them to a point from the center at a 45 degree angle. That way, when all four of them come together, they will match on the edges, and you won't have an ugly flat joint. Of course they will have to be glued on all the edges and on their tips where they meet the ceiling board. The best way I have found for cutting the points is to put a stop block on my cutoff saw, a short distance from the blade on the right fence. Holding the molding on left, run it to the stop, cut it, and flip it over and make the opposite cut.
If this wasn't clear, post back and I'll try again.

04-03-06, 05:05 PM   #3  
Thanks Larry. I believe I understand.

04-05-06, 11:24 AM   #4  
I understand the concept and I think this joint would look great but I'm a bit unclear on how to get the "point" cut correctly. I can see myself screwing this up by not ending up with the point centered... I guess I'm missing the point on how to use the stop block.

What type of glue would be used in this situation? Both ceiling and molding will be already painted (latex). I was just going to bang it in with the finish nailer.....

Last edited by wreckwriter; 04-05-06 at 12:01 PM.

04-09-06, 05:30 AM   #5  
Well, couldn't get that fancy joint to work right so I did butt joints at the T, did miter the corners though. Its finished and came out well! Thanks for the tips.

Search this Thread