Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Base Moulding - Quarter round natural vs. painted

Old 07-05-06, 07:09 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

We have an older house (40+ years) that has decent hardwood floors and we use area rugs...thus the hardwood floor "shows" around the perimeter of most of our rooms. However, the base moulding is as follows: painted white, but the quarter round trim on the floor is natural wood to match the hardwood floors.
My question is: for a MODERN LOOK, would it not be appropriate to PAINT the quarter round to make it look more "integrated"...i.w. right now the quarter round is truly a separate piece of the moulding....and thus there are gaps/cracks between the quarter round and the base moulding vertical piece. I was considering nailing the quarter round to the vertical piece and filling in the gaps with caulk, and then painting it white.
Is this simply a preference thing i.e. either way is correct ?

Old 07-05-06, 06:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Really it is preference. But all the homes I punch out have the speed base painted white with natural quarter round down to the hardwood. Looks good, IMO.

Old 07-06-06, 06:19 PM
M
Thanks....but

I don't like the fact that the quarter round sticks-up on the side of the molding so much....it just doesn't "integrate" well with the vertical base. Now, if a natural shoe molding piece were used, that may actually look acceptable since it would only go about 1/4"-3/8" up on the base.
I think the other issue here is exactly HOW BIG should the quarter-round be ? The quarter round we have is old and looks to be 1" in width. Perhaps a 1/2" quarter round would do the trick.

Old 07-07-06, 05:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 876 Upvotes on 767 Posts
If you replace the quarter round I would use shoe mold and paint [paint all but last coat prior to install] I believe that is the look you want. Also my prefference

One thing to consider - what does the floor look like under the quarter round? If the hardwood looks different you would wind up with a stripe all around the edges of the rooms

Old 07-07-06, 07:57 AM
M
Thanks Mark...

at least I know I'm not the only one who likes the "integrated" look !
Yes, you are right, the natural oak quarter round is not matching the floor very well....the floors may have been refinished at one time WITHOUT the quarter round being done as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: