Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

did I buy the wrong thing.....threshold

did I buy the wrong thing.....threshold

Old 08-06-06, 09:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question did I buy the wrong thing.....threshold

I need to put down a threshold in a doorway without a door that separates the kitchen from the dining room.. The doorway is all cased with trim on both sides. In the doorway a real wood floor meets vinyl tile. The kitchen floor (vinyl) is a half inch + tile thickness (self-stick tile) higher than the wood floor. I went to the L big box and bought an (oak low threshold by md 3 1/2" wide x 3/4 high 36" length). I figured using my table saw I could cut away material for it to sit flush but my fear is that the part that sits over the vinyl floor would be too thin...maybe 1/4 " Will this crack and if not how should I attach it keeping in mind that the wood floor needs room for expansion and contraction. Can I fit the threshold tightly between the casing sides. This will be stained so any gaps on the side will be noticable. Did I buy the wrong product? I bought it near closing time and I was rushing things. I just bought the thickest (3/4" high) thinking that would be my only option.

Old 08-07-06, 04:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
As long as the 1/4" sits completely flush on the tile and you use an adhesive under the lip, it should wear ok. You don't want to create a trip factor, but still want it to look good. You may be able to find a 1/2" drop threshold and slip a 1/4" strip of oak under the larger part and glue it there. This would give a solid piece on top without having to modify it. I find that I usually have to make most of my thresholds as the drop never coordinates with store bought pieces. Good luck with it.

Old 08-07-06, 07:34 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Threshold

You can fit the threshold snug against the jambs. There is very little expansion and contraction lengthwise.

Old 08-07-06, 09:24 AM
ok

I will give it a try....should I use nails and nail into the wood floor?

Old 08-26-06, 10:33 AM
Question I made the cut

It was quite challenging to cut this without a dado blade but it came out fairly decent. Now my question..attaching theshold to floor. The lip is over the vinyl tile with the other side resting on real hardwood floor. Will construction adhesive stick to vinyl and also, will construction adhesive potentially ruin the hardwood floor if removed later. Or should I nail/screw it down?I really can't nail to the vinyl as the theshold is thin at the lip. My plan was adhesive everywhere and set heavy dumbells (not me) to hold it down untill it bonded.

Old 08-26-06, 01:07 PM
T
I'm a big fan of using screws as opposed to nailing for some reason, in circumstances such as this. I believe a few screws would hold a bit better than a few nails in a high traffic doorway. By all means, use the constructive adhesive, but a few screws wouldn't hurt. I would use the tiny head trim screws in this case, probably 3 spaced equally, they will create a slightly bigger hole to fill than a nail, yet still relatively smaller than a full head screw. Just one guys opinion.

Old 08-26-06, 06:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
And since opinions are like belly buttons, here's mine. The screws will hold very good, but on a small threshold piece you may want to opt for a finish nail, set it , and fill the hole. A screw may be a little too large unless you use trim head screws, but in any event, even with the nails, predrill the hole to prevent splitting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: