Drywall not flush with Jamb

Old 09-12-06, 03:03 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drywall not flush with Jamb

I have read a few solutions for when the drywall is protruding above the jamb but none for when the jamb is protruding farther out then the drywall. This is what I am dealing with. The drywall is 3/4" lower than the jamb all the way around (in some parts more). What can I do?

Old 09-12-06, 06:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Who made the jambs? Did they come with the windows/doors, or were they field cut? When they protrude about 1/8 to 1/4" I usually plane them down, but 3/4" is a "remove, disassemble, cut and reinstall" project.
If they are new installation windows with nailing fins, it may be there is no OSB or insulation board on the exterior of the house, and the windows may have been nailed to framing instead (hope not).

Old 09-13-06, 05:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
If removing the jambs to trim them down isn't feasable, you could butt 3/4" stock up to the jamb and then casing over that. It will take a little planning to fit it all together where it will look good.

Old 09-13-06, 10:24 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Poor Planning

When I talked with the contractor he said that it was a common problem and that jamb that was installed (I cannot remember what manufacturer) tended to run a bit wide. Thats fine but, as you said, it should have been planned down to fit. Anyway, since disassemble is not an option for me at the moment I'll try butting 3/4" stock up to the jamb.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: