Painters Putty

Old 09-18-06, 12:09 PM
Painters Putty

On a recommendation, I recently used painters putty (Dap "53"-I think) for filling some nail holes.

Does this stuff ever dry hard? It's been a month and it is still soft.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-06, 08:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Painter putty will dry. How did you apply it?

Often new putty will need to have some of the oils dried out of it before using. This is accomplished by either drying a ball of putty with a rag or adding whiting. Old dried out putty often needs to have a drop or two of thinner added to make it usable.

Putty should be pushed into the nail hole with the excess either wiped off with your thumb or a putty knife. Painters putty shouldn't require more than a superfical sanding.

Old 09-20-06, 09:58 AM
I followed directions, pushed into holes with finger, smoothed off with a knife. According to the container, it is ready to use out of the can. It suggests waiting 48 hours for it to skim over before painting. I waited a week. After several weeks it is still soft.
http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=75

Old 09-20-06, 01:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
How big were the holes?

While it is best to wait a minimum of 8 hrs - helps to prevent the oil in the putty from discoloring the paint, there shouldn't be any other problems with painting over the putty.

Large holes should be filled with a different type of material like durhams rock hard putty.