Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

panelling question

crystin6472's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1

10-05-06, 10:56 PM   #1  
panelling question

I am buying an older house that has panelling in the Kitchen....I am wanting to do a texture over it and read somewhere that I should first fill the cracks (indented strips in the paneling...don't know what they are called so I call the cracks) with joint compound and then I can use the joint compound to do the stonelike texture with a brush and sponge....should i first use a liquid deglosser and then sand and follow with a primer/sealer? I also read that I should use a oil based primer because it was a Kitchen....should I cover all the "cracks" with mesh tape and the apply the joint compound over that? Is this going to work? Thanks for your help!! Crysti

Sponsored Links
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 39,968

10-06-06, 03:28 AM   #2  
You may find there is an easier way to do this. Check at a good wallpaper store or at one of the big box stores. You will find an embossed paneling cover, which is applied just like wallpaper, and no filling of the grooves is necessary. This stuff is quite tough, and alot thicker than regular wallpaper. After it is up and dried, you can paint it just as you would a regular wall, only you will have your embossing permanently applied. And the embossing comes in different flavors.

marksr's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 42,809

10-06-06, 05:12 AM   #3  
Any time paneling is painted it should first be cleaned and coated with a solvent based primer, this helps to insure the paint will adhere to the paneling's finish.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread