Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

jamb/casing prob & moulding faux pau ??

Old 11-28-06, 12:28 AM

I have a couple different issues here, 1st is jamb/casing prob, and second is more décor.

1st) I had a door installed a few months ago, after the previous one rotted out (with the floor around it). Now, the new jam is protruding 3/4 out at the top, but flush at the bottom ( interior, flush everywhere exterior). Everyone involved in the installation, unfortunately no pros, said it was normal at times and would cover up. Now, I am finally ready to cover it, but having problems, obviously. The water leak btw is resolved-no more future rot problems. Any suggestions? I read prev post that 3/4 stock then casing, but not sure in my *special* predicament.

2nd) My interior windows and doors have white casing and I'm not about to change that now. I put in laminate flooring. I have *wood* cabinetsin kitchen and auburn green and rust-like-color walls in living room, white walls in kitchen. I am having issues putting white baseboard down as wood looks so much nicer, until it buts up against a white door casing! But the white baseboard seems to make the rooms look a bit smaller. Would it be a big fashion faux pau to use two different moldings? And what about the wood floors against the wood cabinets in the kitchen? In this situation, would the wood baseboard be ok?

My more logical mannerism says all home improvments should be geared towards increasing potential resale value, my personal pref. comes after that.

Any advise greatly appreciated!!
~Tina

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-06, 11:03 AM
1. I would plane/rasp/sand the jamb to make the overhang smaller (~1/4) then case as the other doors. I would measure carefully and assemble the casing off the door. If its standard casing, I use hot glue and brads in the corners. Nail the assembly to the door opening and caulk any gaps, fill nail holes and paint.

2. Too me, all the baseboards and casings should be either all painted or all stained. For your floor and cabinets, I wouldn't use baseboard. I would use quarter round or shoe moulding (matching the floor) for the transition

Old 12-02-06, 10:46 PM
thank you :)

Thank You Chris. The baseboard looks better in white then i had imagined it would, and i went with a slightly taller than 1/4 round for the kitchen. The door is going to have to wait as i have no way to plane right now, but it sounds as logical/easy as its going to get to fix. ~Tina