Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Back Banding Existing doors & windows adding to baseboard

Old 12-12-06, 09:04 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am planning on building up my existing trim around my doors, windows and baseboards. Based on an earlier post (should these be combined?), I know that what I want to do is called back banding. Armed with that info, I am well on my way to having the perfect moulding to augment my existing trim.

I realize that adding trim around the doors will affect my baseboard and I think I am going to remove them and make it a 3 piece baseboard. My concern is with the windows. If the doors and windows should match -- (and I would like for them to) -- then when I add the back band on the windows the stool will not extend beyond the trim. And the apron will be narrower than the moulding. Do I need to remove and replace the stool/sill or is their some way to add to the ends? I believe that there is no way around replacing the apron.

Has anyone out there gone though the effort of upgrading their existing moulding? Or do people give up when they realize how much destruction they will do for the effect.

Last edited by diyX2; 12-12-06 at 09:06 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 12-12-06, 10:03 PM
J
You're just running into the unforeseen consequences of a trim project. Next time you'll be ready for it.

You can purchase stool boards at home centers and lumber yards. Usually 3/4" or 1" overhang looks good. With the premade stool you'll have to make self returns on the ends. If your stool is square edged just buy some 1x boards and use that. If you have a router available you can use 1x stock and cut a decorative edge after you cut your stool to length.

For the apron you don't necessarily have to use the same trim you used on the rest of the window. I often use beaded casing with a self return for an apron. Or you can use your window trim plus the back band. Again use self returns. Cut the apron to the same length as the outside width of your window trim plus back band.

Old 12-26-06, 07:15 AM
D
Thanks for your reply. I never got the email. And with the holidays just didn't check the listing.

Thanks for the info about the apron. We do have tools (too many!!). So we can make the new stools ourselves. I was hoping to just ADD to the existing one. By cutting the curved part off. But I think I may do a test by removing one and if it is not too bad -- that will be simplier than trying to seamlessly (looking I hope) make a join.

Thanks again!

Old 12-26-06, 10:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 839 Upvotes on 736 Posts
If your trim is painted, you could biscuit join new piece to the old - spackling and sanding will make it look like one piece. While this can also be done with stained wood [minus the spackling] IMO it envolves too much work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: