full length baseboard molding?

Old 12-12-06, 10:42 AM
full length baseboard molding?

I believe the normal method of installing baseboard/shoe molding is to stop at every door jamb and have the jamb molding extend to the floor.
After installing tile in the hallway and having undercut the jambs and their moldings so the tile fits better, I find that some were cut too high above the finished floor and now there's an obvious gap.

Is there any problem with cutting them even higher and having the baseboard/shoe molding go entirely beneath them?

Thanks,

Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-06, 11:39 AM
Baseboard

How will you terminate the baseboard and shoe mould?

Old 12-12-06, 01:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the gap too big to caulk?
I have caulked and painted door jambs/casing that were cut to high and a small piece off of scrap jamb/casing was inserted to fill the void - if done correctly it is hardly noticable.

Old 12-12-06, 09:38 PM
It sounds like you're trying to say that you cut the casing, the door trim, too high. The jamb is the piece the door hangs from and fits into.

If I have it right you can use a plinth block. It's a piece that goes between the floor and the casing. A plinth is typically a little thicker and wider than the casing. You should be able to buy some ready made at a home center or lumber yard that carries trim.

Old 12-13-06, 07:52 AM
Thanks

Plinth blocks are the way to go.

Is there such a thing as plinth blocks specifically made for inside/outside corners?

Old 12-13-06, 10:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't remember what they are called but there a narrow pieces of moulding used for inside and outside corners of base - eliminates mitre cuts, if that is what you are asking.

Old 12-16-06, 06:46 AM
Yes, that is what I'm asking. It seems to me that, in order to keep the same style through-out, if you don't miter at one point, you shouldn't miter anywhere else along the base.

FOLLOW-UP:

I went to Home Repo and picked up some of those pieces mentioned by "marksr." They were just labeled: inside/outside corners in the molding section.

Looks good