Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wainscoting and chair rail

NJ

12-20-06, 07:46 AM   #1  
Wainscoting and chair rail

I'm installing a few sections of wainscoting in my kitchen eating area. I will remove the baseboard molding and install.
Do I nail the chail rail over the wainscoting, or just on top of it (butting against it?)

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-20-06, 09:41 AM   #2  
It depends on the type of chair rail you buy. I prefer the kind that overlaps when using wainscotting.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

12-20-06, 11:17 PM   #3  
Marksr is right; a wainscot cap is much easier. A wainscot cap looks like a chair rail with a rabbet cut in the bottom so it fits right over the top of the wainscot. If I do a bead board wainscot I like to install the cap first. I set it to height and dead level. With the bead board cut square all you have to do is check for plumb every so often while you nail it off.

If you try to just set a chair rail on top you'll probably wind up with a ragged edge showing. You can nail a chair rail to the front but then you'll have to make something to cover the top. If I have to go that way I use my router to cut a decorative edge on some 1x and then rip it to width.

Search this Thread