subrail moulding

Old 01-06-07, 11:43 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
subrail moulding

I am stuck on what type of moulding to choose for a subrail. Any help would be great.

I am currently remodeling my dining room. I have already installed a 3" Norman style chair rail and 5 3/4" (approx) standard colonial crown. The top half of the room is painted with a red faux and the bottom half is white. All trim is white. I am also installing shadow boxes in the bottom half (probably using a 1 5/8 base cap moulding). I installed the chair rail at 36" from the floor to leave space for a subrail between the chair and shadow boxes. I saw this layout in a book that gives the bottom half more of a panel feel to it with the extra dimension of the subrail.

My problem is, I am not sure what type of moulding to use for the subrail. I have looked at a few places, but is there anything typically standard for this? My thoughts are the width should be approx to the size of the shadow box trim.

Any ideas?

Old 01-08-07, 06:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You could use something like a 1217 molding which measures 1 1/2" wide by 1 1/2" tall at the peak. But in all reality, adding more molding to the chair rail, may make the top too heavy looking, since you will be base cap frames in the middle. Sounds like a great project. Good luck with it.

Old 01-08-07, 10:32 PM
J
Find the website of the White Brothers in Oakland CA. and take a look at the astragals, 1705-s, for example. If you're handy with a router you might even make something along those lines.

Jan

Old 01-09-07, 04:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Jan, thanks for the website. I have a wall poster from a local mill, and have to drag it out when I refer to moldings. This is surely easier to use.

Old 01-10-07, 09:28 PM
J
Larry.

It's no problem. For all that HD style MDF try the Pactrim website.

Jan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: