Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Crown molding question

01-18-07, 06:24 AM   #1  
Crown molding question

I have the "popcorn" ceilings in my house and I'd like to put up crown molding. My question is, would the molding look stupid with the popcorn ceilings? Would there be a gap between the molding and ceiling?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-18-07, 10:30 AM   #2  
Welcome to the diy forums

Painted crown moulding should be caulked - this will eliminate any gap [also makes for a more professional looking job!] I've painted a lot of homes with popcorn ceilings and crown mould.

Stained woodwork takes more skill and precise measurements/fits to make it look good.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

01-18-07, 01:11 PM   #3  
You can also remove the popcorn where your crown contacts the ceiling, so you won't need so much caulk.

01-18-07, 04:00 PM   #4  
Thanks, those are good ideas. Im actually thinking of just removing all of the popcorn after reading some of the articles on here. Its a shame the builder used it, the house is only 3 years old. Just wanted to avoid the huge mess since I am living there, and I have a 2 year old.

ME

01-03-08, 01:22 PM   #5  
popcorn ceiling

The builder used popcorn ceiling texture so that you don't see the sheet rock joints. Any type of textured ceiling requires far less taping time.

Search this Thread