Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

trim for countertop

PA

01-21-07, 10:52 AM   #1  
trim for countertop

i installed one of those laminate countertops over our washer and dryer in the laundry room to make a folding table. It has a backsplash and a small lip in front. I made the mistake of cuttinng it square, not realizing until after I put it in that the laundry room walls are not square. the result is a countertop that fits nice and snug along the back wall, but out front along the side walls there is a 1-inch gap on one side and a 5/8-inch gap on the other. Any suggestions on a trim that could hide the mistake. complicating this is the corners of the front lip and backsplash are curved, not square, so just some quarter-round or something would be tough. thought maybe a flexible molding might do the trick, but I've never worked with that and am looking for any suggestions. many thanks from a rookie DIYer.

Sponsored Links

OH

01-21-07, 11:06 AM   #2  
When measuring for countertops, it's important to check the corners to see if they are square. Then, it's also important to take measurements across the back wall and from wall to wall a couple feet out where front of counter will be.

I am not aware of any molding that will hide the gap and curve down over the rolled edge. One option might be to remove the counter and install painted or finished 1x4" to the wall in a length that will extend out beyond the rolled edge, recut the counter to fit properly between the two boards. You can then seal any minor gap with paintable silicone caulk. The gap problem would be solved with a new spin on sidesplashes!

Group Moderator

NE

01-21-07, 11:07 AM   #3  
You could remove the countertop, install a 1x4 as a "backsplash" on the left and right sides, then recut the countertop so as to conform to the tapers that you did not originally notice. The joint between the two could then be caulked.

Better than a 1x4 would be to actually laminate some particle board, using laminate that would match (or at least not clash) with your countertop.

OH

01-21-07, 11:32 AM   #4  
Your suggestion was my first option, but then I thought that the poster picked up a slab from a BB store. I doubted if they had matching side splashes available. From what I hear they usually do not. If purchasing a sheet of laminate, you'd have to purchase a big sheet and have the laminate cutter and router to do the edges. You'd also have to buy more high-density particleboard than needed. I thought that the quickest and least expensive method would be to go with a 1x4" to match walls or interior trim.

Group Moderator

NE

01-21-07, 11:59 AM   #5  
Funny that we replied at almost exactly the same time and with the same idea.

When I mentioned "better than using a 1x4" what I meant was that rather than putting up a poplar 1x4 and painting it... or an oak 1x4 and staining it... it would probably look better to use a 1x4 of particle board, then glue laminate to it that would match his premade countertop.

But you're right- it would take more tools and more material to do that, and as such, it would probably be almost as cheap to go buy a new piece of countertop and start over!

TN

01-21-07, 12:11 PM   #6  
Counter top

Before you get discouraged, check where you purchased the counter top. They, in fact, may have matching side splashes. Good luck.

PA

01-21-07, 04:03 PM   #7  
thanks for the suggestions

i'll check for matching side splashes, and if not, i've got some 1x4 in the basement. that painted to match the trim will actually look pretty sharp. laundry room is going to be the nicest room in the house. good thing we spend so much time in there.

Group Moderator

FL

01-21-07, 04:06 PM   #8  
First thing I thought of, too. Used them when I redid our counters recently. Like this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=65013-1110-352611ESK&lpage=none

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

01-23-07, 03:27 PM   #9  
I know you were probably hoping for no gaps at all on the sides, but seems to me like you could just recut the sides correctly, making the gap look even the whole way, front to back.

Search this Thread