Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Baseboard Molding Removal

01-25-07, 11:27 AM   #1  
Baseboard Molding Removal

I am having hardwood floors installed. To save a few bucks, I will remove the carpeting, base molding and also the particle board subfloor (the flooring must be nailed into plywood).

If possible, I want to re-use the molding. How do I remove it without damaging it?

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links

CT

01-25-07, 11:37 AM   #2  
I use a utility knife between the molding and the wall to separate any paint or caulking. Then I try to get it started with a 4" drywall knife. Once I have it far enough away from the wall to use a wonder bar I pull it the rest of the way off. I put the DW knife against the wall to lever the bar against. This keeps the bar from punching through the wallboard or plaster.
Often the nails will pull through the molding. That's what you want because it leaves a clean nail hole that you can fill with putty. Any nails that come off with the molding should be pulled through from the back for the same reason. If you try to drive them back out through the face you risk splintering the wood.

01-25-07, 12:43 PM   #3  
That worked!!!

Thanks!

Search this Thread