Gluing in baseboards?

Old 02-26-07, 11:17 AM
Gluing in baseboards?

We just installed a floating laminate floor throughout our house and are ready to install the baseboards and crown moulding. In areas that are longer than a single board we have read that we should use a miter saw and construction adhesive to create a slip joint to join the boards. This suggestion has made us wonder whether we could just use construction adhesive to apply the baseboards everywhere, rather than our nail gun and hundreds of nails. Does anyone know if this would work? It seems that if it would we would have seen the method mentioned somewhere, but it would be nice not to need to buy a new compressor right now (we have a pneumatic nail gun, but not a compressor at the moment).

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-07, 12:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd look for an excuse to buy an air compressor if I didn't have one

You will still need to nail the base some to hold it in place while the adhesive dries.

Old 02-26-07, 12:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with Marksr, go ahead and go shopping and do the baseboards. Just remember the quarter round will also be nailed sideways into the base, instead of down into the flooring. This will give you the slip joint you need.

Old 02-26-07, 12:52 PM
If some one wants to remove the baseboard some time in the future, you'll probably hear a lot of cussin'. Better to just nail the baseboard. An adhesive on a scarf joint is OK, but you'll still have to nail it.

Old 02-26-07, 01:30 PM
I did a kitchen remodel that i used powershot adhesive. With using this i didnt have to use any nails and turned out good. But like someone said, if you ever have to remove it, then its gonna be a major headache.