new baseboards - difficulty level!

Old 02-26-07, 04:12 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question new baseboards - difficulty level!

Hello! I want to replace all the baseboards/trim in my new, but older, home! How difficult is this to do? Also, same question with the trim around all the doors. Is this something I can do on my own, or should I hire someone to do it?

THANKS!

Old 02-26-07, 04:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It really depends on your "tool" level. In order to install a good trim job, you will need access to a compound miter saw (10" or better), a compressor, finish nailer and brad nailer. Now, I remember doing this with a handsaw, nails, hammer and nailset, so it is doable either way, but give me the accuracy and power! If you need help in the project, be sure to post us so we can help.

Old 02-26-07, 06:12 PM
J
x2 to what Chandler said, if you don't currently own the tools needed the cost of buying them will make up a good portion of what a pro will charge. Assuming you hire someone qualified the quality should be better since they have more experience. On the other hand good tools, gained experience, and the pride of looking back on your handiwork is priceless.

Old 02-27-07, 06:54 AM
W
Received 60 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Installing Trim

In my opinion, installing stained trim is more difficult than painted trim. The fit must be more precise because caulk cannot be used on stained trim. Just a thought. Good luck.

Go for it! If you don't, you will always wonder whether or not you could have done it.

Old 02-27-07, 07:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
I'm a firm believer in diy whenever feasable. I'd look at the job as an excuse to buy tools But if you don't think you will have need of the tools later it might be better to hire it out as jampac suggested.

An air nailer is really nice because it effortlessly nails and sets them but if you can only afford 1 tool - buy a miter saw! A good miter saw will go a long way in insuring accurate cuts. You can nail and set by hand - air nailer just makes it easier/quicker

Old 02-27-07, 09:07 AM
D
Oh my.... well I can borrow the saw from a friend, but now I'm thinking it may be easier to hire someone. I spoke with someone yesterday that charges about $1.30 per linear foot.... what do you think of that? And also $45/door to change all the trim on the door.

Thanks so much!!

Old 02-27-07, 06:18 PM
F
dubabe,
To me, $1.30 a linear foot is expensive. How many linear feet do you have? You can knock out a square bedroom quickly. And does this guy do the entire job or does he just install the trim? To me, installing was easy (except for the bullnose corners which are tricky if you have those). It was going back and filling in the nail holes, sanding the wood filler down, and painting all of the trim that was the biggest part. If he doesn't do any of that in his quote, I wouldn't hire him. His price includes only labor, I'm assuming (and not the supplies)?

I did do what the others above mentioned, though. I probably spent $400 on a Craftsman brad nailer, compressor, and 10 inch power miter saw but I probably saved $1500 in labor. No way could I have used a miter box with trim nails and a nail set ...it would take way too long. I also did my entire house and it took me awhile but I tell you man, when you are done and you look at the work you just did, it's pretty cool. And since I did the work, I know I did it right and if it didn't look just perfect, I'd rip it out and fix it. Also, I use the tools I purchased for many other things so that $400 was not wasted by any means. I say go for it.

Steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: