Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How do I end this crown molding???

MO

03-12-07, 10:17 AM   #1  
How do I end this crown molding???

Guys imagine the room is a rectangle. More long than sqaure. We took down a couple walls to open up the kitchen and dining room together. I am using 42" tall kitchen wall cabinets that are Cherry and wanted to run bright white Crown on the walls. How can I do this on the one end where the cabinets are. 3 walls will have crown the other will have cabinets. How can I terminate or end the crown molding without looking stupid? Any help/ideas is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-12-07, 10:47 AM   #2  
Do the uppers extend to the ceiling?
Usually the painted crown will stop at the cabinets but usually uppers have some sort of moulding to hide the often unperfect gap at the top of the cabinet. It usually isn't too hard to figure out how to stop and start the two.

Or will the crown run into the cabinet doors? This would require the crown stopping short with a return - not sure how well that will look.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MO

03-12-07, 11:02 AM   #3  
Well, usually I run the 42" cabinets all the way to the ceiling. I suppose if push came to shove, I could mount the wall cabinets a little lower, but I would hate to sacrifice the counter space. I should have planned ahead and designed in a 3" filler at the end of the wall cabinets I ordered. That way I could have ended the molding at the actual cabinet. What is this "return" you are speaking of? I guess, another option is to mitre the crown at the cabinets and mount the crown on the cabinets. But since it is white, I thought maybe I could color match the cherry just only in that section.So mitred together, in the corners you would see 2 different colors coming together. Not sure if that would look dumb though.

TN

03-12-07, 11:46 AM   #4  
Crown Moulding

Will there be any moulding along the top of the cabinets where the cabinets meet the ceiling?

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

03-12-07, 03:01 PM   #5  
You can hold your crown about 2" short of your cabinet, and cut a return piece. I think this looks a little cleaner than jamming it up against the cherry cabinets. cutting the return entails cutting the crown as if you were turning a corner, and cutting a small piece to return to the wall as if the corner were invisible.

Group Moderator

NE

03-12-07, 05:50 PM   #6  
If the cabinets are tight to the ceiling with no crown around them:

Instead of having a single piece return (with 45's), a double piece return (with 22.5's) might look a little better. Makes the return look like 1/4 of a stop sign rather than a sharp square corner. Keep in mind the cabinet door will need to swing all the way open, which would mean ending the crown a good distance from where the door swings.

If you wanted to run cherry crown around the cabinets (by adding a filler on top of the cabinets, lowering them by the rise of the crown) it would work well to use a thick corner block (kinda like this one: http://i1.ebayimg.com/02/i/08/7b/fa/9d_1.JPG) that matches the cherry, and terminate the white crown and cherry crown at the corner block. Mitering it like you mentioned might look ok, although I've never seen two-tone crown put together like that.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

03-12-07, 06:20 PM   #7  
I like the idea of the rolling return. It softens the corner.

MO

03-12-07, 07:00 PM   #8  
Thanks guys for the advice. I think I might try that double bevel return. 22.5 That seems like it might look alright. Cabinets should be in in a week or so. When I get it done, I'll to take some pics.

Search this Thread