Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Installing beadboard - how to accomodate electrical outlet to added thickness of wall

Installing beadboard - how to accomodate electrical outlet to added thickness of wall

Old 03-13-07, 11:35 AM

I have some old wallpaper in my dining room that the previous homeowners put up under a pre-existing chair rail. I have removed the chair rail and was in the middle of removing the wallpaper because I was going to paint the wall all one color. Well, this wallpaper is horrible. I've never had this hard of a time removing wallpaper as I did here. I have a steamer, and a tiger.. I have preforated and steamed and this is about all I have gotten done in an hour (see pic below). There is about 80 square feet to do, and I don't have time to spend every night for a month working it.

Beacuse of that, I have decided to just cover the lower area with beadboard. I can buy and cut it myself, but I had a couple of questions.

-Is the best way to cut the board for electrical outlets with a jigsaw?
-Once the outlet area is cut out of the bead board, what is the best way to get the outlet itself even with the new thickness of the wall beacuse of the thicker bead board?

After the bead board is up, I'm going to top it off with a new chair rail, new taller baseboard, and some gloss white paint.

Thanks for your help.

Here is a picture of what I am working with:

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/4590/wallpapersucksjg9.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-07, 12:35 PM
Electrical

Add a box extension to the box you have.

Old 03-13-07, 03:26 PM
Group Moderator
I'm guessing you won't need a box extension if your bead board is 1/4" thick, but it depends what thickness you get. If it's thin, you'll just unscrew the outlet, feed it through your new hole (be sure you cut the new hole tight to the outlet with your jigsaw) and then the wings of the outlet will sit on top of the new bead board.

Old 03-20-07, 08:35 PM
If you have access to a small router (like a laminate trimmer) and a flush trim bit...

Easy way to cut holes in bead board (or paneling) for outlets:

1) Note approx location of outlet
2) Tuck wires in box and duct tape to back of box (make sure you disconnect power)
3) Hang Bead board
4) Drill hole (larger dia than flush trim bit) in bead board at approx location of outlet
5) Set depth of flush trim bit so bearing will ride on inside of box
6) Insert flush trim bit in hole, turn on router and follow box counter clockwise to trim out hole.
7) Use a utility knife to trim tabs that will be left covering the box screw holes.

Note a larger router will work but will be harder to handle if you have a lot of holes.

Old 03-20-07, 09:05 PM
Wink

There is a small filler like. Has a hole in it and a longer screw. use it to put the outlets backas far out as you need

"the best way to get the outlet itself even with the new thickness of the wall beacuse of the thicker bead board?"