Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Continue cabinet trim on kitchen ceiling?

Continue cabinet trim on kitchen ceiling?

Old 03-26-07, 03:37 PM
Question Continue cabinet trim on kitchen ceiling?

The trim on our kitchen cabinets looks like shoe moulding (same size/shape). I'd like to add trim to the ceiling/wall borders in the kitchen where there are no cabinets. Changing the trim on the cabinets isn't an option since they were recently painted along with the cabinets. So... should I continue with the shoe moulding so it's consistent, or should I use something different? FYI- the ceiling and cabinets are white and the walls are taupe so the trim would be white.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-07, 04:43 PM
Using a base shoe at the juncture of the wall and ceiling would look sad. I'm guessing that any kind of ceiling molding you used would have to end at the cabinet which means you'd have to work around the shoe that's already on the cabinet. That can be a chore.

If it were me I would remove the molding that's on the cabinet and run a nice ceiling molding on the cabinets and the walls al the way around the room. That produces a nice integrated look.

If that's more than you want to handle you could do something that was common in Craftsman homes. Just run a picture rail on the walls about 6" down from the ceiling. That will establish a nice horizontal line near the ceiling which is the point of putting trim up there anyway. Some people like to run the ceiling paint down to the picture rail when they trim this way. A picture rail installed this way would just stop at any cabinets and look fine.

Good Luck