Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Refacing interior stair risers

NJ

04-07-07, 05:07 PM   #1  
Refacing interior stair risers

Hello, My wife and I recently purchased a home with hard wood floors throughout, and iron railings to go with our stairs. I am interested in refacing the risers from the natural hardwood color to a white, and then adding wood hand railings to match the interior hardwood floors. What is the proper way to go about starting this project of refacing the risers from the hardwood color to the white? Sand and paint, or is there a more "professional" right way to go about this project? Thanks for any advice...

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

04-07-07, 05:47 PM   #2  
You say they are a hardwood "color". Are they hardwood? If so, I would sand and prime/paint to the color I wanted. This always looks dramatic to have natural treads and white risers.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-08-07, 04:22 AM   #3  
I agree white risers look nice! but they also get dirty or show the dirt more than stained/natural finish

To paint them - sand, dust and coat with a solvent based primer [to insure adhesion] You can then top coat with your choice of enamel. It usually takes 3 coats total. 1 coat primer 2 coats enamel.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

NJ

04-08-07, 09:55 AM   #4  
Thanks

Thank you guys...Yes the floor is real hardwood, I just wasnt sure what kind of wood and didnt want to provide the wrong information. I am definitely going to paint the risers white, I believe this will bring out some of the trimwork around the house and I agree it is pretty dramatic. Should this be done before I switch out the railings and posts? Or does it not really matter the order of importance? Thanks Again....

OH

04-08-07, 09:58 AM   #5  
Finish changes to railings and posts first. Paint last. This reduces opportunity for you to mess up the new paint.

Search this Thread