Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Can you sheetrock an unlevel mobile home??

Old 04-25-07, 11:06 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am working on remodeling an older 1972 mobile home. At the moment it is unlevel and still needs moving a short distance on the plot. Is it safe to go ahead and put sheetrock up before moving and leveling or should I wait??

Old 04-25-07, 11:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,960 Upvotes on 1,757 Posts
In theory, the mobile home walls should remain square even if the unit is not level, which would mean that it would be safe to drywall. Think about some of those prefab modular homes you see being hauled over the road- they are already sheetrocked.

However, it really would be much better to wait until it is set and levelled. In the event that the mobile home currently has some "bend" to it, if you wait you won't have as much to worry about with anything cracking due to settling.

Old 04-25-07, 06:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 870 Upvotes on 761 Posts
Older MHs tend to twist some when they are moved. It might be ok to hang the rock prior to moving and leveling but I'd for sure hold off on any finishing. If you have noticed the newer MHs with drywall are mostle glued in place and NO tape - the joints all use moulding to match.

Old 04-25-07, 07:11 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
So that's why they use that molding! I always wondered why.

Old 06-03-07, 12:15 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Definitely hold off on any finishing. I recently bought my first home, it's a 1986 mobile home that was very off level. Didn't need moving but they raised it 4 inches and leveled it. I ended up with a broken window, cracked plaster which was freshly painted and drywall staples pulled out through the plaster all over the living room.

Old 06-03-07, 04:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 870 Upvotes on 761 Posts
Apparently whoever raised your MH didn't know what they were doing It sounds like they tried to raise one end to high at one time. When raising [or lowering] a MH you need to do it a little at time, preferably with multiple jacks.

I hope they had insurance or otherwise paid for the damage. A MH shouldn't recieve damage from moving but especially not from leveling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: