Problem w/ paneling in a basement

Old 05-28-07, 11:58 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am faming in my basement and hanging paneling in one of the bedrooms. I went in today to do more work down there and found several pieces where warped (i guess that's what you would call it). Its all wavy down there. I can't seem to straighten it out. The paneling is nailed directly to the 2x4 studs. The studs are 16 and 24 inches apart (depending on the wall). Did I hang it wrong? Is there a proper way of hanging it? Much assistance needed.

Thx

Old 05-28-07, 12:01 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

It sounds like you may have high humidity in your basement no that you are not running a furnace. The humidity swells the wood, which causes the expansion and buckling.

Old 05-28-07, 12:14 PM
J
great...so i just ruined a chit load of paneling then didn't i?

Old 05-28-07, 12:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 860 Upvotes on 752 Posts
also some paneling [especially the cheaper paneling] is intended to be installed over drywall or plywood. It is too thin and flimsy to support itself.

Old 05-28-07, 04:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Even when I install 3/8" thick beadboard, I run perlins flat all the way around the room at three heights (1' 4' and 7') to keep the stuff from buckling. Basements are funny that way.

Old 05-29-07, 07:16 PM
J
I wouldn't be surprised to find the studs bowed and out of parallel. Now that your paneling is up you can see it. After you take the paneling down take a long straightedge, a level, and a string line to the studs and see what you've got. If it's not too bad some shims and some work with a plane might be enough otherwise something more advanced like Larry is suggesting will be necessary.

Get back after you take a look.

Jan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: