Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Joining an old sheet rock wall new sheet rock

Old 06-06-07, 08:37 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm remodeling my bathroom, I need to replace the sheetrock on 2 of the walls, the old walls are OK, but painted many times over, the same for the ceeling. I'm I going to have a problem with taping over the old walls/ceeling where it joins the new sheet rock?? Or should I just replace all sheetrock in the bathroom?
THanks

Old 06-06-07, 12:26 PM
B
There is no problem taping the new rock to the old. If the paint on the wall is shiny, dull it a bit by hitting it with some sand paper, to dull it, then just mud-tape-mud. should be good to go.

Old 06-06-07, 05:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 871 Upvotes on 762 Posts
Drywall will last a lifetime if not damaged. Unless the walls are beyond repair it might be easier to repair what you have. A skim coat can make an old tired wall look new again...... and a whole lot less work

Old and new drywall are joined all the time [repairs] as noted above just sand or scrape if needed to get a fairly smooth nonglossy area to tape.

Old 06-12-07, 06:13 PM
H
Smile Thanks for your input

Thanks for the input. I went 1/2 way, one wall was really bad, so down it came, the other will get repaired and matched to the new stuff. I hope.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: