How to repair cracked door frame?

Old 07-03-07, 09:19 AM
How to repair cracked door frame?

I have 4 sliding glass doors all in a row framing in our sun room. Finally, I just finished hanging all new shades on each door. I also installed some matching shades in the 3 4X6 skylights because it was so darn hot! I love the look, cut down on the heat and it looked great UNTIL this morning when my BIG kid decided to open one of the shades and pulled it too hard. It fell half off the door frame and the wood trim of the door itself cracked!

The crack is on the left hook about 6 inches long, 3 on each side of where the hook goes in and then the middle hook has a 2 inch crack and the right hook is still secure, no crack at that place. Each shade is hung with 3 screw in hooks and there are 2 shades on each slider. This shade is very lightweight but is 48X72.

I know that I could just putty and paint the crack but what I want to know is there anyway to repair the wood strong enough to put the shade hooks back into the same cracked place. I don't want to move them up past the crack because then I have to move all 8 shades and they are barely long enough as it is. The hooks were probably installed too close to the bottom edge as they are only about 1/4-1/2 inch from the bottom edge of a 2 inch trim but it was because the shades were almost too short to do it another way.

Is there something I can use to fill and repair the crack so it will be strong enough to put the hooks back in the same place? I am thinking of some really strong caulk/glue/putty/something that will let me put the hooks back into the same place while holding the wood crack together. THANKS!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-07, 01:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the hook also the screw?

I don't know that there is any wood filler that I would trust enough to rehang in the same spot unless you can use a longer screw to secure it to the stud in the wall.

Old 07-03-07, 03:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wood Repair

Consider an epoxy based wood filler. Some can be drilled and screwed with no cracking or spliting. Some can even be tinted or stained to match. Epoxies tend to be more expensive than than the garden variety fillers but who wants to do a repair twice?

Old 07-03-07, 07:27 PM
Yep, marksr, the screw is the hook and it is about 1/2 "-3/4" long. I think jhstahl has the idea I was hoping for!

jhstahl, can you tell me a name brand so I know exactly what to look for in the store. It all gets so confusing when I look at all the millions of products! How does one apply the stuff? Is it like a "glue stick" or putty or ? At least it was just painted white and the painters left me the paint so the touch up part will be easy enough.

Thanks again for your help. I can not tell you how invaluable these boards have been especially through this big home remodel project but oh boy, does it look goooood! You were right marksr when you told me it would be worth all the headaches. I love my new floors, ceilings, kitchen lighting and new paint and now I wonder why I never did all this before...hmmm, and it all started with a knee through the popcorn ceiling-lol!

Search this Thread