Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Trim around recessed windows?

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

OK

08-22-07, 03:29 PM   #1  
Trim around recessed windows?

Not sure if this is done or not, but would like to hear some opinions on whether or not I should install trim around my recessed windows.

My windows are recessed in about 4 inches or so from the face of the interior walls but does not have any type of trim around it. It's a typical ranch style home.

Before I waste money on purchasing moulding, wondering if any of you have seen windows like mine with trim around it?

I can post pics if needed.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

08-22-07, 03:55 PM   #2  
Not all windows have or need trim. I'm guessing your house might have a thin aluminum framed window, which would explain why it's set so far out on the walls. If the drywall or plaster returns back to the window, then trim is not needed. Sometimes you'll see drywall returns on the top and sides of a window, then a wood, laminate, tile or marble stool (window sill) on bottom. But if you want or like the look of trim, it can certainly be done that way.

You'd probably want to remove any existing drywall / plaster return and install a wooden jamb. Depending on how you wanted to trim it, you can either case it on 4 sides (miters at all 4 corners) or you could install a wider stool on bottom, which would mean you'd only have miters on the top left and right corners. The stool would separate the bottom of your side casing from the apron, which is the trim below the stool.

Personally, I like making 1x4 craftsman style trim that has more of a square look to it- no miters- using the latter method.

Here's some examples that might give you some ideas:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thexsleeper/detail?.dir=4b29&.dnm=bd37re2.jpg
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thexsleeper/detail?.dir=4b29&.dnm=70f0re2.jpg
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thexsleeper/detail?.dir=3dc3re2&.dnm=c219.jpg

PA

08-27-07, 08:41 AM   #3  
It seems to be a trend in a lot of new houses not to have trim. As I understand this is a money saving device in terms of time and material. It is also a growing trend for people to put wood trim around these windows at a later date because a lot of people like the wood trim. I'd say do what you want.. I don't think there's anything stopping you other than a little time and money.

I don't know the process, but XSleeper sounds right that you'd want to remove the drywall return.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

OK

08-27-07, 03:37 PM   #4  
Thanks for the input Gents.

I'm going to try and photoshop some trim into some pictures I have of the windows and see how it looks. I'll post back when it's accomplished.

Search this Thread