Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Tips on installing Baseboard with bullnose corners

Old 08-28-07, 11:00 AM

Hi

I am (will be) installing new 4" baseboard in the new great room as well as the rest of the house ( about 250 feet), I have bullnose corners and I bought matching corner pieces. I wonder what is the easiest way to fasten the corners, shall I use glue? tack it with a brand nail?

Thanks
Njarif

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-07, 01:36 PM
Group Moderator
You don't usually want to nail through the center of those corner pieces as they are expensive and sometimes like to split. You'd be better off putting a dab of construction adhesive behind them, wood glue on each end, and a couple pieces of painter's tape across the joint will hold them together until the glue sets up.

If you must nail them, you would use a small brad nail and toenail through the pieces of baseboard on the sides and angle the nail into the corner piece. But you will probably find that if you have the baseboard on each side cut the perfect length, the glue and tape method will work fine.

Old 08-29-07, 03:57 AM
XSleeper

Thank you very much for the tip, I will certainy try your suggestion to use construction adhesive and glue.

One more question, I plan to use MDF for the baseboard and assume the same method will work here as well (construction adhesive and wood glue)?

Thanks
Njarif

Old 08-29-07, 07:01 AM
Group Moderator
The rest of your baseboard should be installed with finish nails that are long enough to penetrate into at least 1" of the 2x4 framing. So if the baseboard is 5/8" thick, the drywall is 1/2" thick, you would need to use a finish nail that is at least 2 1/8" long. No construction adhesive should be needed when installing the rest of your baseboard, because you will be locating and nailing into the studs. A battery operated studfinder will be very helpful.

Old 08-30-07, 06:54 AM
XSleeper,

Thank you for the comprehensive details. With the information you have provided, I can proceed with confidence to getting done.

Best Regards

Njarif

Old 09-06-07, 10:45 PM
I have used "No More Nails", an adhesive, on MDF baseboards. Works so well you'll probably tear your drywall apart trying to remove them. That in itself is the only disadvantage.